[ digital. marketing. speak. ] Sunday Edition
Beats Pro by Dr. Dre Review
As somebody that uses headphones professionally in the studio and live performance, I can confidently say that the [Pro] cans have mediocre sonic performance and exaggerated bass. The phones are tuned for Dr. Dre’s music…this is actually a complement to Dr. Dre* because he meticulously crafts and produces his music, but the rest of the music industry doesn’t subscribe to this meticulousness and if they do, it’s lost when the tunes are compressed and reshaped by digital codecs. Dr. Dre and Monster have hit a gold mine by leveraging his name and making a mediocre sonic product that looks and feels damn cool. These headphones are the iPad of Christmas 2011 (they’re right around the same price point too).
[+] Beautifully crafted earphones. The hinges look and feel like they can withstand even the most demanding DJ usage. Removable input cable lends itself to easier storage and replacement (if needed). Red cable screams “I’m unique.” Monster Corp. warranty. Comfortable to wear. Good, heavy weight. Drivers will cover most ears (unless you’re Dumbo). Dual Input/Output cable ports with the twist and lock mechanism are new to the market and can be useful if you’re into sound sharing (i.e. in the studio, mixing with a colleague, trying not to wake up your girlfriend, road trips, silent discos, etc.) Plush and washable ear cushions are big deal to DJs. 1/4-inch tethered adapter is convenient when switching from professional gear to your portable music player.
[-] Ok sound that exaggerates the lower end frequencies turning the phones into an inaccurate reference monitor. Good, heavy weight. Red cable screams “I’m unique.” White is not the most practical color unless you wear clean gloves and keep your headphones in a hermetically sealed box, in which case you have bigger problems than picking out headphones. I broke the 1/4-inch rubber tether when trying it out. You’re advertising Dr. Dre. Have you seen the price tag??? At this price + flamboyant coloring, the cans are a liability if you’re on a subway or walking around, listening to music at night.
The bottom line
If you’re looking for sonically-superior headphones, the Beats Pro are not your best bet. At this price point, you can comfortably go into high-end land of Allen & Heath, Sennheiser, Denon, Beyerdynamic, Pioneer, Sony, and AKG. For the non-discerning ear, an individual with a flare for style and making fashion statements, and a someone with a deep pocket, the Beats Pro are not a bad choice. Shell out an extra $150 (MSRP) for a more durable (and more incognito) Beats Pro Special Edition.
MSRP: $449 (Pro black / white)
MSRP: $599 (Pro Special edition black)
From the manufacturer…
- Deep Bass Response and Clean Sound Across the Spectrum: Beats Pro™ uses no amplification or noise cancellation circuitry that adds other frequencies and colors the sound, so you hear the bass, uncompromised.
- Proprietary Driver Technology and Materials for Pro-Caliber Sound: Delivers the even frequency response of studio monitors for ultra accurate recording, mixing, and playback.
- Superior Sound Isolation: Increased ear cup foam density and precise fitting shut out external noise for extraordinary accuracy, extreme clarity, and hard driving bass.
- Patent-Pending Dual Input/Output Cable Ports: Plug your headphone cable into one earcup and the other port automatically switches to output mode, so others can hear your mix in their cans.
- Unique Flip-up Ear Cups: Backward rotating ear cups make it easy to monitor the room, studio or club, or hear others, with Beats Pro on your head at all times.
- Plush and washable ear cushions: Yields superior sound isolation with maximum comfort and minimal ear fatigue. Removable and washable because you want the beats funky, not your headphones.
- Threaded 1/4-inch Adaptor with Tether: Heavy duty, gold plated 1/4-inch adaptor ensures you’re ready for any setup. Attached tether prevents it from being left behind at your last gig.
What’s in the Box?
- Beats Pro High Performance Professional Headphone
- Monster Cable headphone cable (1.8 meters with a coil that extends it to 2.1 meters)
- 1/8 to 1/4” adapter
- Touring case
- Monster Clean Cloth with advanced Aegis Microbe Shield technology
- 1 year warranty
disclaimer: Dr. Dre is not a real doctor.